Saturday, February 22, 2014

Social or search...this obsession with traffic ignores the complexity of turning readers into revenue

theMediaBfiefing reporting:
Amid all the debate about whether or not social is overtaking search as the most important source of traffic for media brands, many have lost sight of a key issue: Search and social are two vital and often complementary methods of getting people to read content - but the way you monetise those people varies massively.
...

What's a reader worth, and why?

There are a number of questions a media brand should be asking about each person who visits its site, including:
-- Direct revenue: Will this person pay for my content?
-- Partner revenue: Will this person buy something else through me or one of my partners via my site?
-- Better targeting: Will this person give me more data to enhance my marketing efforts, or those of my clients?
-- More valuable target: Is this person, because they are more engaged, more valuable to my advertising clients?
There's a compelling argument that in answering many of these questions, media brands will start valuing social more. On Google, a media brand is just one purveyor of information among many. But with social media, be it Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest or LinkedIn, there are more complex relationships between publisher and reader at play. ...
http://www.themediabriefing.com/article/no-social-traffic-hasn-t-overtaken-search-but-that-doesn-t-mean-it-isn-t-becoming-more-important

No comments:

Post a Comment